Recently updated on February 11th, 2023 at 02:18 pm
Table of Contents
If you’re into aromatherapy or simply like having positive scents around you- there’s a good chance you’ve heard about essential oil diffusers. These nifty devices disperse aroma oils of your choice into the air, helping you breathe them in and indulge in some self-care that comes with a home that smells good.
Several scientific studies have shown that essential oils can interact with the brain and the nervous system to relieve stress, boost immunity, increase concentration, make you feel happier, promote restful sleep and more. All you need to use a diffuser is some water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil to create your own aromatherapy corner.
In a lot of cases the functionality of diffusing the essential oils is common among all of these devices. What you should look for is which one has the specifications that match your needs and which design has the looks that will fit in with your style and decor.
Here Are Our Top 25 Essential Oil Diffuser Reviews That You Can Easily Buy Online!
#1 URPOWER Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Attractive Wood Grain
- Ultrasonic Cool Mist
- Whisper-Quiet Humidifier
- Color Changing LED Lights
- 4 Timer Settings
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off
Consistently among the best sellers on Amazon, this diffuser has more than 6500 reviews and a 4.6 rating. With a Japanese-style sleek wooden design, this diffuser has 2 settings- mist and light. The former setting sprays out fine mist every 30 seconds while the light setting offers 7 adjustable color according to your mood. It has a large capacity of 300ml of water and claimed to last up to six hours but through our tests, it lasted about 5 hours.
- The low price point of this diffuser is a great value for money.
- It’s luxurious design, large capacity, and strong streams of most, make this one a must-have.
- Prone to spilling because of its wide structure while moving
#2 Homasy 400ml Wood Grain Essential Oil Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Aroma Cool Mist Diffuser
- 15 Night Modes
This tear-drop shaped diffuser has a chic wood grain finish and functions both like a humidifier and a diffuser. The diffuser runs for 7 hours in high mist mode and almost 9 hours in a low-mist setting when filled up to its maximum of 400ml capacity. With 7 different color modes and 15 light settings, you can easily set the ambience according to your usage whether it is to help you sleep or at a romantic candle light dinner.
- Made from BPA-free material
- Auto-off functionality
- Produces a slight noise
#3 InnoGear 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Wood Grain Aroma Diffuser for Home, Office or Yoga
- Cool Mist Humidifier with Timer
- Adjustable Mist
- 7 Color Changing Night Lights
- Waterless Auto Off
- Large 500ml Capacity
Another fan favorite, this InnoGear diffuser has 3800 reviews and a 4.3 rating on Amazon. It has an aesthetically pleasing wood-grain finish and certainly adds a certain class to any decor. The light setting is perhaps the USP of this diffuser as it has 7 different colors that you can keep steady, rotate or turn off completely.
A beginner’s diffuser, this runs slightly smaller than other diffusers at the same price, this diffuser can run for one hour, three hours, six hours or steady on a full 200-milliliter tank.
- Has a timer (1 hour – 3 hours – 6 hours)
- Easy to use
- Color shifting LED
- Made from delicate plastic
- Requires frequent cleaning so as to not mix fragrances
#4 Vitruvi Stone Diffuser
- Hand-Crafted Ceramic
- Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser for Aromatherapy
- 100ml Capacity Can Diffuse Up To 540 Sqft
- BPA-free Plastic Water Reservoir
This handcrafted porcelain stone diffuser looks more like a piece of art than a meditative device! Designed in Taiwan, this diffuser with its minimal colors could very well be mistaken for a table-decor piece. It disperses a soft and cool mist with its ultrasonic technology which can be set to continuous mode (3 hours) or an intermittent mode (7 hours). It is easy to operate as you just have to lift the lid off the top and add water to the internal canister.
- Artisanal design that adds a charm to your space
- Cool smoke-list mist that can fill up small to medium sized rooms
- Easy to operate and clean
- It’s priced as a high-end diffuser but we think the aesthetics and high-quality material justify the price.
#5 PureSpa Compact Ionizer Essential Oil Diffuser
- Compact Air Deodorizer
- 100ml Water Tank
- Mood Boosting Ionizer
- Optional Color Changing Light
- Lasts Up To 7 Hours With Auto Shutoff
With a standard capacity of 100 ml, this lanky tear-drop shaped diffuser operates as a diffuser, ionizer, humidifier and a night light. It is easy to operate with the diffuser having only one button to turn on, change the colors and third time to switch it off. Essentially silent while running, the diffuser throws off a very fine mist that easily spreads in large rooms. With a run time of 7 hours, the best part of it is that it auto-switches off without making a beeping noise which is great for light sleepers.
- Great Value for money
- 2 year warranty
- Strong mist dissipated over a large area
- The device auto-rotates color and you cannot keep it stable at one color of choice
#6 Anton Aroma Best Essential Oil Diffuser
- Scent and Fragrance Aromatherapy
- Modern Italian Design
- 140ml Capacity
- Color LEDs with Timer & Auto Shutoff
Designed in Italy, this little piece is almost minimalist in design with no unnecessary buttons and valves. Another bonus is that it’s available in either a blue, or red bottom option, so you can choose according to your decor. Made of soft quality rubber, this Anton diffuser is sturdy and will not break easily even when knocked down! The diffuser can run for up to 8 hours on a full capacity of 140ml which means you can run it all day. It has 7 ambient color modes which can be kept changing or fixed. But the best part of this diffuser is that it automatically shuts off when it runs out of water.
- It is very easy to and has see-through plastic that states the safe water level.
- Powerful misting released at about 12″-18″ high.
- Cover does not need to be clicked into place which might cause accidental spills.
#7 Pilgrim Collection Alpha Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- Scent and Fragrance Ultrasonic Aromatherapy
- Modern Belgian Design
- Extra Long Cord
- Timer With Auto Shutoff
- Soft Rubber Black Paint
Here’s a diffuser that does exactly what it’s made for and has no bells and whistles on it! A minimalist black colored device, this diffuser has no LED light associated with it – which is actually quite refreshing and simple. With a capacity of 160 ml, it can run up to 8 hours on an intermittent mist which is 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off and slightly lesser on a continuous mist mode. You can easily switch modes by pressing the only button on this device. It also acts as a humidifier thus adding moisture in the air which is quite nice during the dry, colder months. As with many other diffusers, it auto shuts off when it runs out of water with a silent flash of lights. This is a handy feature if you use this at night and don’t want to be bothered by noisy beeps.
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Long-lasting diffuser
- Some complaints of the diffuser switching off before water emptying
#8 ArtNaturals Essential Oil Diffuser and Humidifier with Bluetooth Speaker Clock
- Electric Cool Mist
- Bluetooth Speaker Clock
- 13.5 Fl Oz / 400ml Tank
- Essential Oil Diffuser and Humidifier
This diffuser takes your relaxation experience to another level with its clock & Bluetooth speaker with a soft LED light. You can now play music on this diffuser in easy steps which you can appreciate during yoga practices, meditation or while being soothed to sleep.
Apart from the technology, this wooden-finish diffuser can be set at one fixed color or seven changing colors: clear, blue, green, purple, yellow, orange and red. An interesting fact is that it uses ultrasonic radiation to diffuse mist so it does not create heat in its surroundings. It has a good 400 ml capacity which means it can run for 6-7 hours straight depending on whether you use the short interval mode or continuous diffusion.
- Easy to set up
- The number display is hard to read for elder users
- While it also has a clock and alarm, it does not feature a snooze or off button
#9 Viva Naturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Vibrant Changeable LED Lights
- Soothing Mist & Oxygen
- Automatic Shut Off
- 100 ml, White
Futuristic in style with a narrow top and bulging end, this 8-inch diffuser uses ultrasonic technology to diffuse essential oils instead of heat. It also features ionic technology that helps reduce allergens, and dust in the air. The USP of this diffuser is the 7 LED color options- moonlight white, firefly green, aquamarine teal, galaxy purple, sunset red, mellow yellow, and mystic blue. The colors are as soothing and mystical as they sounds!
You can use this on either of the 3 settings which are continuous mist, intermittent mist with mist release every 30 seconds and finally the light only mode so you can use it as a nightlight. It has a standard 100 ml capacity but because it uses ultrasonic technology, it runs for up to 8 hours.
- Lively Mood lighting settings
- Uses less water due to its ultrasonic technology
- Noise level is at whispers
- The cord is quite long at 4 feet
#10 Smiley Daisy Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Cool Mist Whisper-Quiet Humidifier
- Color Changing LED Lights
- Two Mist Settings
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off
- Large 350ml Capacity
The water capacity of the Hibiscus diffuser is 350ml, which is a lot more than its competitors. This diffuser has hardcore fans who simply cannot switch over to other brands! It is small and round shaped with four sturdy rubber feet means that this diffuser is sturdy and will not break easily.
A major point of differentiation is that this diffuser has a whopping 350 ml capacity that runs up to 7 hours, thus giving off a super strong stream of 55ml vapor every hour! It is also easy to operate with 2 buttons- one for switching it on and off and another to change the lights of which there are 7 options.
- The impressive performance, strong stream of vapor is unmatchable
- It is aesthetically pleasing and sturdy
- The light generated is minimal, functioning more as a design element than an actual source of light
#11 ASAKUKI Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Diffuser
- WiFi & App Controlled, Compatible with Alexa
- Large 700ml Capacity
- Easy to connect to Wi-Fi
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off
- Super quiet and effectively relax your body
The first thing you will notice about this diffuser is that it is connectable to WiFi, compatible with Amazon Echo and you can ask to control it with Alexa and it’s app controlled too! It’s a larger sized diffuser with a capacity of 700 ml, this diffuser can hold almost three cups of water and can run for up many hours. It uses 2 nebulizer modes to give off high or low speed mist which can fill up a large room. It has a standard 7 LED adustable colors function that have the dark, light and optional nightlight only modes. The additional safety features turns off the diffuser when it runs out of water and a timer that you can easily set up. It also functions as a humidifier so it’s a very good value for the price.
- Strong dispersal power that can spread in wider spaces
- Beautiful wooden design and is BPA free
- Quiet function that won’t disturb your sleep
- Somewhat fragile and needs to be handled carefully
#12 Aroma 2017 Simway Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aroma Diffuser Humidifier
- Large 400ml Capacity
- 7 Color LED Mood Lights for Bedroom
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off
Shaped like a tulip with a smooth wood grain surface finish, this diffuser is a wonderful decor piece and a mini-humidifier too. With soothing LED color changing light makes this diffuser a little home decoration piece. When it comes to capacity, there are no complaints as it can 400 ml of water that can up to 10 hours when used continuously and slightly longer if the mist is set to low mode.
It uses ultrasonic technology to produce fine mist and almost no noise. You can use timers to choose its run time of 1, 3 or 6 hours but it also turns off automatically when it runs out of water.
- Ultrasonic technology disperses mist without giving off heat
- Does not gather condensation
- Large capacity that gives off a strong mist for longer
- The LED lights need to be turned off manually as the timer does not switch it off
#13 Oak Leaf Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Simple & Fast Operating Essential Oil Diffuser
- 100ml Capacity
- 7 Color Changing LED Lights
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off
This Oak Leaf diffuser is a no-frills attached, simple diffuser that is great for small spaces. Using ultrasonic technology, it delivers a fine mist without heat. Although it claims to work for 8 hours, it works for up to 6-7 hours depending on the mode of usage. The mist button runs on a continuous mode or a 20-second burst cycle. It has a standard 7 color cycle which can be set to rotate or remain fixed to one color. It’s easy to use as it has separate buttons for turning it on/off and changing colors. If you are looking for a nice humidifier/diffuser that won’t break your bank, stop right here and give this a try.
- It has a white and clean appearance and can gel well into any sort of decor
- Spreads aroma quickly in small and medium spaces in both modes
- Even though you can switch the lights off, it emits some light from the power button which can be a little inconvenient if you sleep in a pitch-black space.
#14 doTERRA Petal Diffuser
- Substantial Mist Helps Purify and Humidify Up to 350 Sqft of Air
- 1, 2, and 4 hour diffuser settings
- Simple, 3-piece Diffuser is Easy and Convenient To Use
- Stable and Light That Can Be Used In Many Spaces
doTERRA is very well known for its amazing range of essential oils so we had high expectations for this one and it did not disappoint! Firstly, this diffuser is the best looking of all the ones reviewed! The top portion is a frosted white plastic, while the base is a single solid color either purple or black. It’s pretty simple to use too as you’ve only got two buttons for the functions of misting and light and an LED timer right above. It uses ultrasonic waves that float straight upward creating small water molecules in the process.
doTERRA claimed that the diffuser could fill up to 350 square feet with ease and while testing it we noticed that fragrance was stronger near the diffuser but still spread out across the space. It has three timed settings—1, 2, and 4 hours— and also an auto-off feature which means you don’t have to worry about safety. Pricier than most other similar options, we think it is justified because of the high-quality material and the aesthetic fits into most homes and bedrooms.
- 150ml capacity means you aren’t refilling it all the time
- Auto-shut off when empty
- White LED isn’t too bright and can turn on/off
- Almost completely silent operation
- The lid can be annoying to remove with one hand
#15 VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- Both a Diffuser & Humidifier
- Waterless Auto-Off Function
- 4 Time Setting Modes: 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours and continuous
- 7 soothing colors and each color has 2 light options (dim and bright)
The VicTsing is among the best sellers on Amazon with more than 11,000 reviews and a pristine 4.6/5 rating! Needless to say, the diffuser has an attractive profile with a faux wood finish that would accentuate most living spaces. This diffuser has a large reservoir at 300ml allowing it to operate for 6-8 hours at full capacity. The coverage of the diffuser is great and it can spread the aroma at 350 sq. feet very well. There are 7 standard LED colored lights but with the option to set them dim or bright which you can cycle through or keep fixed. You can hear a bubbling noise that is slightly louder than other models with a great performance, it still deserves a spot in our list of top diffusers.
- Is quite sturdy and can handle any accidental tumbles
- Dimmable LEDs, with on/off
- Higher noise levels
#16 Smart Wifi Wireless Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser
- App to control features like LED color, mist intensity, timer settings, scheduling and more directly from your phone
- Creates 360° ultrasonic frequencies that instantly vaporize water and oil molecules into the air
- Allows you to create regular schedules in the app
- Additional 1 year of extended warranty is included on top of the amazon 30 day return warranty free of charge
If you’re looking for a smart diffuser that can connect to Alexa and Google Home, look no further! The app takes some initial work to set up but once done, you can set your diffuser to work exactly as you like via the EWeLink app or use with voice commands. Another unique feature is that it allows you to schedule the diffuser to work on set days and times remotely!
Apart from the technology aspect, the diffuser does its job quite well. This diffuser uses ultrasonic frequencies that atomize water and oil molecules without using heat. The diffuser is larger than it looks and has 400 ml capacity which translated to 12 hours of continuous mist.
- Voice commands with Alexa
- Google home compatible
- Ability to schedule run times
- Beautiful design that doesn’t look plastic-y
- The eWeLink app requires 2.4 Ghz wireless and does not operate on other frequencies
#17 BAXIA TECHNOLOGY Essential Oil Portable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier (2 Pack)
- Essential Oil Portable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 8 LED Lights
- Waterless Auto Shut-Off for Aroma Diffuser
- 2 Pack with 100ml Capacity
Unassuming in design, this diffuser comes in a set of two and is great for a beginner. It is super made of BPA-free plastic and is thus super lightweight. They put out a lot of steam and last a decently long time considering the small reservoir for water. Although the diffuser looks quite minuscule, it holds a standard 100 ml capacity and can give off a strong stream of vapor in its one continuous setting. It is also pretty easy method to set your color preferences as one press of the button cycles through the 8 choices, the second press sets one color and the third press turn off the color mode. All in all, this is a standard model that does its job well.
- Great Value for money and is a wonderful idea for gifting
- Incredibly lightweight
- Ultrasonic misting technology
- Audible Beep when you change the color settings
#18 The Essential Wellness Essential Oil Diffuser and Aromatherapy Diffuser
- BPA Free Diffuser
- 8-10 Hours Continuous Diffusing
- 7 Colors
- Auto Shut Off With 300ml Capacity
First things first, the Essential Wellness diffuser looks incredibly premium with its minimal design and pristine white finish. The company claims that it its material is built to resist corrosion by oils and wear and tear and we can vouch for the same! It has a large capacity of 300ml that lets it run for 8-10 hours with a strong mist that comes out of the top and a side vent. We also appreciated the timer feature that allows you to choose from 60, 189, or 360 minutes and a safety auto-off functions that turns the diffuser off after it runs out of water. It also allows you to cycle between colors in both bright and dim modes.
- Comes with a handy measuring cup
- Secure top lid that can prevent messy spills
- Beautiful aesthetic with a sleek modern look
- Even when the light mode is off, the buttons emits a slight green color which might bother you if you prefer sleeping in a completely dark room
#19 Anjou Essential Oil Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Aroma Cool Mist Humidifier
- Up to 8 Hours Of Use
- 7 Color LED Lights, Wood Grain, BPA-Free
- Auto Shut Off With 300ml Capacity
With a pyramid like structure, wooden finish at the bottom and a translucent gloss plastic at the top, this diffuser looks different from the many others. With a 300 ml capacity, this diffuser has a long run-time of 8 hours in the low mist mode and 6 hours at high mist. It throws mist over a large area which can mask off unpleasant smells but also help add to the humidity of the room pretty well. With 7 color changing LED lights with bright and dim mode, this piece blends well whether you use it at home, work, studios or as a nightlight. It has multiple timer settings (1h, 3h or 6h) with the standard feature of auto-shut off.
- Large spectrum of colors, with option of light on or off
- Aesthetically pleasing and BPA-free plastic
- Long run-time of 6-8 hours with steady stream
- Mist output decreases if not cleaned properly
#20 Rockano Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser by Quooz
- Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- High and Regular Mist Settings
- Adjustable Light Options
- Auto Shut Off With 200ml Capacity
We had to include this one because of its cool design- similar to a rocky mountain or the triangular facets of a diamond, making it a popular product for children and collectors. It’s easy to operate with buttons to choose from low and high mist which runs for 5 and 10 hours respectively with a 200ml capacity.
Another interesting feature is that its LED lights have a “breathing” mode, that allows the light to fade in slowly which is amazing while meditation or sleep. The auto-off feature adds a level of safety and makes no beep when it does so, leaving your sleep noise-free.
- Truly unique design
- Strong mist that spreads across large rooms easily
- Large water capacity
- Regular cleaning needs to be done to prevent residual smells
#21 SpaRoom AromaMist Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser and Aromatherapy Mister (Chrome)
- Powerful Mister Used By the Most Celebrated Spas in America
- Sleek Chrome Finish
- Adds Dramatic Ambiance With Rotating Colors
- Nighttime Mode Operates Without Lights
With a near perfect 4 out of 5 rating on Amazon, this diffuser is often on the bestsellers list due to its unique design and capabilities. Disc-shaped with a clear plastic top and a steep bottom, this diffuser holds 115 ml and can waft across a room of 200 sq feet with ease. You can see substantial mist shooting out of its top which can last for about 3 hours on continuous mist and about 5 hours on intermittent mist. A lot of customers enjoyed the LED lights on the diffuser and mentioned the ease of changing colors.
- Unique style to blend in various decors
- Pretty LED light options with the option to choose from solid lights, rotating color lights, or no lights
- Easy to clean
- Condensation can collect on the surface where the diffuser is placed
- Simple diffuser with no timer feature
#22 Smiley Daisy Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Reduces Cigarette Smoke Smell & Controls Pet and Animal Odors
- Clean & Sylish White Finish
- Color Changing LED Lights
- Whisper-quiet With 2.4 MHZ Advanced Ultrasonic Technology
With more than 1900 positive reviews, this diffuser is simple looking and easy to operate. There is a small green or red light that shows you which mode is on the former being a 30 seconds intermittent mist option and the latter being continuous. It runs through the spectrum of colors and you can turn it off by long-pressing the color selection button.
It produced a decent amount of stream which is not overpowering given its 120 ml capacity and is easy to clean.
- Cool and fine mist
- Does not produce condensation beneath its surface
- Bright LED lights that can be turned off
- The diffuser emits a low hum noise while running
#23 URPOWER 1000ml Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier With Remote Control
- Large 1000ml Water Capacity
- Runs 10-15 Hours In High and 15-20 Hours In Low Mist Mode
- With the Remote, Easily Turn On/Off the Light and Mist
- Waterless Auto Shut-off Function
With features like a large water storage and a wireless remote, this URPOWER diffuser deserves a place on this list. It is easy to set up as you need to pop the top off, fill with water and use it for almost 12 to 15 hours a day. The direction of the mist, mist diffusion modes and LED lights are adjustable via the remote, which comes with batteries, and the device itself.
- Can cover wide spaces easily
- Has a run-time of almost 10-12 hours on full capacity
- Good value for money
- Works as a good humidifier as well
- Have to cycle through all the colors & brightness levels to turn the light off
- Power button emits a green light which can be an irritant to light sleepers
#24 The Pineapple Essential Oil Diffuser
- Unique Ceramics Pineapple Design
- 7 Color LED Night Lamps
- 160ml Cool Mist Humidifier
- Whisper-Quiet Operation
Shaped like a pineapple, this diffuser is a quirky ceramic piece that does a great job for small spaces. It uses ultrasonic Diffusing technology that breaks water. With a 160 ml capacity, it works for about 4-5 hours and shuts off automatically once water runs out. The light can be cycles through the 7 options or kept fixed on one by pressing the light button.
- Can cover wide spaces easily
- Has a run-time of almost 10-12 hours on full capacity
- Quirky design that will brighten any space
- Small in size that can be kept on desks, small rooms, office cubicles etc
- Auto shut off feature
- Cannot diffuse oils well in large spaces
#25 Marpac Purest Aromatherapy Essential Oils Diffuser
- Designed As The First “Scent Machine” For Sleep
- Equipped With A Hinged Lid for Easy, Quick, No-mess Refills
- Built-in Storage for 2 Scent Bottles
- Up To 300 Square Feet of Coverage
An innovation that combines a sleep-centric design and a diffuser, this model comes with storage space for 2 essential oil bottles, hinged lid for easy refills, timer and touch buttons. Small in size at about 4 inches long, this diffuser is designed as a sleep aid and takes up no space on night stands. Inside are two holders that you can put two bottles of essential oils The unit has a power button, and timer settings to run it for 1 hour, 2 hours or continuously. It does not have lighting options as it’s meant for a soothing night experience.
- Can cover wide spaces easily
- No more messy refills because of its hinged open design
- Storage space for 2 essential oil bottles
- Light and strong mist settings to choose from
- Works best in small rooms and spaces of 250-300 sq feet
Additional Product Reviews: An essential oil diffuser is a great device for aromatherapy in your home. But be sure to consider using an air purifier as well to eliminate ongoing sources of house odors.
Essential Oil Diffusers Buying Guide
Essential oils have been a part of many historical beauty routines, medicine, and religious experiences. The practice of diffusing oils has continued till date although with a lot of upgrades in the way they are done.
While some essential oils can be applied topically on ingested when diluted with carrier oils, they carry some risks that you can easily avoid by using diffusers. For the absolute beginner, a diffuser is a device that spreads the fragrance of essential oils over a set area.
Read through the below sections to understand the features, functionality and benefits of choosing an essential oil diffuser that is right for you and your situation.
Benefits of Diffusing Essential Oils
Diffusers need not just be something you see in spas! The practice of spreading beneficial fragrance has been practiced for centuries and you can bring this to any space around you, be it your home, office, bathroom and even your car. Here are some benefits that diffuser can bring you:
- Masks odors: Spaces that smell musty or dank can easily be refreshed with fragrant essential oils like lemon, tea tree, orange and more quickly. These natural options are better for your health and the environment than other chemical sprays.
- Induce feelings of calm and positivity: Just as tea and tonics can soothe you and help you reduce stress, essential oils when inhaled can have the same effect. Oils like lavender, eucalyptus or chamomile can have this effect.
- To minimize the effects of seasonal threats: Essential oils with anti-microbial properties can boost the fighting powers of your immune system. This can be particularly comforting if you suffer from seasonal cold or the flu.
- Boost concentration: Some oils like spearmint or lime can have medicinal benefits and improve focus while you’re doing important tasks.
- Promotes sleep: Diffusing certain oils like chamomile, lavender, orange can induce longer and better sleep. Diffusing these oils before and during bedtime can help fight insomnia by affecting the limbic region of the brain.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
There are 4 major kinds of diffusers available in the market including:
- Nebulizer Diffusers
- Ultrasonic Diffusers
- Evaporative Diffusers
- Heat Diffusers
1) Nebulizing Diffuser
Perfect for those who use essential oils regularly, practice aromatherapy and require fragrance over large spaces.
The best kind of diffuser in our opinion is the nebulizer as it does not use heat, plastic or water to give off a fine mist of fragrance. It works by a combination of pressurized air and oil- air is forced through a small tube that creates a strong enough vacuum to pull oil to the surface in the form of mist. Because there is no heat involved, the essential oils retain their integrity and natural properties.
- No water or heat used in the process
- Concentrated fragrance diffused into the air
- Usually comes with timers that help you control when and for how long you require diffusion
- Is connected to the bottle of essential oil so can be turned on easily
- Pricier than other options
- The vacuum effects create a bubbling noise
2) Ultrasonic Diffuser
Perfect for those who use essential oils to mask odors and smells or to create a spa-like atmosphere.
This kind of diffuser is also called as a humidifier and a vaporizer as it requires water instead of air. In a process similar to the nebulizer, ultrasonic diffusers use electronic frequencies to create vibrations in the water to break up oil molecules for distribution. They can not only produce a nice fragrance but also add humidity to the area where it is used.
- Great for dry and chilly weather as it humidifies and diffuses the air
- Does not use heat
- Increasing the water capacity of the diffuser can mean continuous diffusion for a long time
- Since water is needed for it to work, the essential oils can get diluted
- It requires regular cleaning as residue can collect on the surface around the diffuser
3) Evaporative Diffuser
Perfect for those who are on a budget and require diffusion in small areas.
Evaporative diffusers are modern form of the traditional method of essential oil diffusion. Oil is placed on a filter or any other surface and a fan is blown on it. The moving air causes the oils to evaporate quicker than they would and spreads the scent into space.
- Portable and inexpensive
- Lighter constituents of the oil evaporate quicker than heavier ones making the dispersal unbalanced,
- May not fully utilize the therapeutic qualities of the oils.
4) Heat Diffuser
Perfect for complete beginners who are on a budget.
The oldest and most traditional type of diffuser, this type uses heat to atomize and release the fragrance from the oils. Heat warms up the essential oil, causing it to it evaporate into the air. Because it is very basic, this kind of diffuser is the cheapest. affordable from among the options. diffuser, the essential oils are diffused faster. To get the scent to spread quickly, a high flame can be used however that defeats the purpose as many medicinal benefits can be lost. If you’re a beginner and are looking for an inexpensive or a noiseless, heat diffusers can be a way to start.
- Uses heat which can be a fire hazard
- Inefficient distribution of essential oils
Our Final Thoughts & Recommendations
We have discussed each diffusing method with their advantages and disadvantage and on that basis, we would recommend a nebulizing diffuser or an ultrasonic one. Nebulizers are pricier than the rest but they have better diffusing powers and are easier to maintain. Ultrasonic ones are great options as they are more affordable than nebulizers. When choosing your ultrasonic diffuser there are some aspects to consider.
If you plan to use the diffuser as a sleep aid, you may want to avoid the ones that make noise or have bright lights. If run-time is important to you, bear in mind that the range greatly varies across brands as some run for 3 hours and others 12 hours.
Ultimately the decision is yours and you may need to think of other considerations such as the space available to you, which design you like and if you have pets or kids who are prone to knock things down.
Further Reading: Using aromatherapy in your house starts with having a house that does not have an underlying problem with odors. Check out the links below for removing commons sources of bad smells in your house.